Your health is your most important asset

Eating on the Road

I have been doing a lot of driving and traveling the last month and a half. I attended a conference in Texas, looked for a house to rent in another state and moved. Wow, I am tired. And very soon I will get in my car again for Christmas.

All this travel reminds me how hard it is to eat healthy food on the road and I find airports to be even worse. If you don’t eat fast food, there really aren’t many options. On one of our road trips we found a Zoe’s and I used to consider that a good option. I recently found out Zoe’s now adds corn to their seasoning. Corn isn’t on my current eating plan. And I have no idea if the corn is GMO or not. I would eat at a Chipolte if I could find one. They use clean meat. I understand Carl Jr has a grassfed burger but I have never stopped. I just can’t make myself. I am gluten free and since we aren’t eating nightshades I can’t have the fries. And if you can’t have the fries what is the point? I also don’t like the smell of the grease in fast food establishments.

I actually got excited on a road trip this summer when I saw there was a Publix at one of the exits. I exited and grabbed some organic lettuce and had a salad in my car.

The roadside signs that tell you which gas stations and food establishments are at an exit are helpful. In Austin Whole Foods is listed on at least one sign I have seen. And while these signs are great, they don’t list everything. Sometimes you can find a great place to get a wholesome meal if you know it’s there. If you spend some time doing google searches you can find places to eat while on your trip.

So when I plan a trip I make sure my hotel has a refrigerator. I carry my own food and a refrigerator overnight is a must.

It shouldn’t be so hard to eat well. It saddens me that most restaurant chains don’t serve food that nourishes our bodies. And most of the stuff in grocery stores isn’t much better. It doesn’t surprise me that so many people aren’t well these days. Obesity and diabetes are epidemic. If the food you are eating isn’t meeting your nutritional needs, you are not going to feel full and you will eat more. There are too many additives and sugars added to foods sold in most grocery stores and many restaurants. And if you are on a special diet, such as gluten free, your options are really slim.

If we want to be healthy we must take back control of our food. We need to shop at farmers’ markets and other places that sell wholesome and cleaner food. Join a co-op and/or a CSA. Planting your own garden is a great way to get your vegetables, herbs, and fruit. We need to start cooking again. Microwaves don’t count as cooking.

So what do I take with me on the road to eat? I carry lettuce, olives, organic olive oil and apple cider vinegar. I make my own salads. I have traveled with wild-caught salmon and green beans. I will carry chicken or pre-cooked hamburgers. I always have some veggies with me too. Hard boiled eggs are easy to travel with and easy to eat. I usually have organic cheese sticks, another easy to eat item while on the road. Grapes are great or apple slices. Nut butters are simple too. When I could have nightshades cherry tomatoes were a great road trip food. I carry seaweed and tuna in aseptic packages. As a treat I carry Hail Mary’s chocolate macaroons. If I have made muffins I will take those along. I also have plenty of water and a selection of tea bags. Tea bags can go into a bottle of water and into the cooler for a while and I have iced tea. When stopping for a restroom break at Starbucks I can get a free cup of hot water and make my own hot tea. In the summer I will carry some cold brew coffee and organic cream. Once again while at Starbucks I get a cup of free ice. I add my cold brew and organic cream and I’m off. (Please don’t think I just freeload off of Starbucks because I don’t. I do buy their products from time to time.)

There are a lot of options for eating well on the road but you do have to plan ahead and cook accordingly. You need to make sure you maintain the food at proper temperatures so that no one gets sick. Make sure you pack enough for all your meals and snacks for everyone on the trip. I have done some poor planning and had some odd meals on a couple of trips. This happened because I was counting on a Chipolte going through a town and I never found one.

I feel there is a market need for places to eat real food while on the road. When going through major cities I can usually find something but traveling on country roads and between big cities there isn’t much. As more people care about what they eat and the demand for nutritious food increases there will be more options out there. Until then I will plan ahead and pack my own food.

What are some of your favorite travel foods? Let us know in the comments below.

Comments

David wilcox
June 12, 2018 6:47 am
David wilcox
At this point you'll find out what is important, it all gives a url to the appealing page: Lucht/lucht warmtepomp
shariq khatri
June 11, 2018 5:58 am
shariq khatri
When i paid for on your website online yet position totally focus totally some modest submits. Satisfactory technique for near future, We are book-marking once have many people end starts it is in place. http://www.kazeli.com/kbn/index.cfm/comid/96450
huyumokis
June 2, 2018 8:15 am
huyumokis
This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion. thank you. affordable moving companies near me
huyumokis
June 2, 2018 4:42 am
huyumokis
I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Online Surveys For Amazon Gift Cards
David wilcox
May 27, 2018 6:55 pm
David wilcox
I favor all the lot of pieces, Wondered certainly cherished, You want advise. in this particular, pondering that should be a bit first rate., Bless you plenty when considering demonstrating to. http://foodtube.net/profile/askross
bhushanverma
May 24, 2018 6:12 am
bhushanverma
DPS are committed to provide our students with a sound knowledge base with emphasis on building strong fundamentals in the principles of education, moral values and strong character and concrete the same by the way of continuous training with psychological methods.
Best Education in Rajasthan
Top school in jhunjhunu
school in ncr
Admission in CBSE School Rajasthan
Priyanka Kapoor
May 9, 2018 6:10 am
Priyanka Kapoor
Our academic pursuits, along with a range of extracurricular activities, help in honing a child's skills and ensuring that he/she grows to be a mature and responsible citizen.
best cbse school in greater noida
secure school in greater noida
bhushanverma
May 8, 2018 6:14 am
bhushanverma
Our journey started as frontrunner to bring Apple technology to the Indian subcontinent.
Apple product dealers and reseller
Apple service center in Kolkata
Audio mixer dealers
iMac dealers in Delhi
ipad service center in Kolkata
MacBook air dealers in Delhi
David wilcox
May 6, 201810:27 am
David wilcox
That is definitely also an effective upload we essentially prized reviewing. Doable day after day that him and i have the opportunity to find the first thing. 1xbet
Priyanka Kapoor
May 3, 2018 4:20 am
Priyanka Kapoor
CGC Jhanjeri is one of the best colleges in the North India and we are providing the best quality of education in various courses. We have Faculty of Engineering offering B.Tech (Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering) and M. Tech courses in CSE, ECE.
Best Engineering college in Chandigarh
Engineering college in punjab
Cgc Admission
MBA college in punjab
cgc placement
MBA with best placements college in chandigarh
Health Coach Group
May 9, 201711:27 am
Health Coach Group
Usually I make a big batch of trail mix that can last round trip! Once I made sushi for the road and that was a hit, kind of messy though! Thanks for another great article, Annette! Goodness, sorry for the multi posts!
Health Coach Group
May 9, 201711:25 am
Health Coach Group
It is such a shame that rural areas do not have "Whole Foods" access, or other healthy prepared food options. You're lucky to find an apple or banana in one of the gas stations! I love the classic ants on a log; celery with a nut butter and raisins.
Health Coach Group
May 9, 201711:25 am
Health Coach Group
Health Coach Group
May 9, 201711:25 am
Health Coach Group
Health Coach Group
May 9, 201711:25 am
Health Coach Group
Annette Falconett
January 4, 2017 7:06 pm
Annette Falconett
I forgot to add that I carry packages of seaweed. They can be a bit greasy so I always have a waterless hand cleanser nearby.
Annette Falconett
January 4, 2017 7:06 pm
Annette Falconett
Anonymous
January 3, 2017 2:08 pm
Anonymous
I completely agree and it is always so difficult; especially as a mom. I tend to make some gluten free almond muffins or scones and bring along many of the same staples that you do. I carry org ACV and olive oil and organic creamers and milk for kids. Apples travel well as do cheese sticks, boiled eggs, shredded chicken, a tub or organic greens and plenty of nuts and gluten free crackers. It takes A LOT of planning though but I think the commitment is well worth it. For airplane travel I stick with the 'cleanest' protein bars I can find since they are prewrapped for security as well as nuts- they carry me through airports without getting starving. Thanks for the thoughts; would love better 'on the road' options for travelers.
Anonymous
January 3, 2017 2:08 pm
Anonymous
Anonymous
January 3, 201711:29 am
Anonymous
I totally agree. I always plan ahead when I am traveling, and make sure I can continue eating healthy. For ease, I do like to carry nuts, and I try to pack a green smoothie d.
Anonymous
January 1, 201710:47 pm
Anonymous
I love when I travel to have cooler with bon bell cheeses and carrots, celery and radishes. I also love the little containers of hummus.